What To Do If Pulled Over
Riverside DUI Defense Lawyer: (951) 682-5110
You are on your way home from a night out with friends when you see the flashing lights in the rear view mirror. You are being pulled over on suspicion of drunk driving. What should you do?
How you handle yourself in your encounter with police during this traffic stop will have a huge impact on your future. Our Riverside drunk driving defense attorneys of Blumenthal & Moore have provided the following information to help you protect yourself if you are ever suspected of drunk driving.
If you’ve been stopped for drunk driving, remember these tips:
- Do be polite. If you argue or are otherwise belligerent, the officer will make note of it and your behavior can be used against you in court. Do not threaten, touch, or resist the officer in any way.
- Do give the officer your driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance as requested.
- Do take the Breathalyzer test. Refusing to take a breath test or blood test will result in a mandatory one-year license suspension. You are better off taking the test.
- Do not answer any questions. Politely refuse to answer the officer's questions about whether you have had anything to drink, how much you drank, or what you have eaten the past 24 hours. Your answers can be used against you in court. You have the right to remain silent and to have an attorney with you during questioning.
- Do not agree to perform field sobriety tests. Politely decline these tests so that the officer's report of your performance cannot be used against you. These tests of your coordination may include standing on one leg, reciting the alphabet backwards, walking a straight line, etc. They are voluntary.
- Do not consent to a search of your vehicle. If there is probable cause, the officer may search the vehicle without a warrant. It is wise to make it clear that you did not agree to the search.
- Do call an attorney as soon as possible. At Blumenthal & Moore we are known for our aggressive DUI defenses aimed at protecting your future and driving privileges.
- Do not speak to police without an attorney by your side.
Have an emergency? Call us 24/7 and you can speak with an attorney or staff member, anytime.
Virginia M. Blumenthal Founding Attorney
Jeff G. Moore Attorney
Heather A. Green Attorney
Brent F. Romney Attorney
Roberta A. Garcia Office Manager & Paralegal
Kathleen Brannan Controller
Hammons Strategies Marketing / Communications Specialist
Dan J. Goldsmith Private Investigator, LIC - PI#17402
"Best Lawyers in America"Listed in "Best Lawyers in America" for more than 30 years
Award-Winning DefenseOur team has some of the most recognized litigators in California.
Significant Trial-Tested ExperienceWith over 100 years of experience combined, our attorneys work together to get the best outcome.
Over 10,000 Cases Successfully HandledWhether it's a misdemeanor or more serious charge, we've handled it all.